Gzip Enabled in Apache 2.2.x (1st July 2012)

After the series of unexpected server moves I fixed the things which were visibly broken first. More recently I discovered HTTP compression of HTML and CSS had stopped. My local server also had this problem after I upgraded it to match the live site!

The fix for the live site was simply to change the .htaccess directives from the Apache 1.3.x era into the new ones for Apache 2.x era. Local WAMP install also needed me to enable deflate_module from the system tray menu.

Here’s what this site and Site Surgeon are now running:

# HTTP Compression for text-based formats:
# http://www.techiepark.com/tutorials/how-to-enable-gzip-compression-in-apache-server-to-speed-up-website/
# Local server didn't have deflate_module enabled by default!
# http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_deflate.html
<IfModule mod_deflate.c>
 AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html text/css text/plain
 AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/rss+xml application/javascript

Still pondering the best universal syntax highlighting when it comes to Apache directives.