Blog Done (14th August 2008)
Today is the last time my rather weak VB6 build scripts should need to run.
- The entire blog now has one page for each entry.
- Each entry is also available in full on the corresponding monthly index page, in reverse chronological order.
- An index page for each year which lists all the entries in that year, grouped by month and ordered chronologically.
- Yearly and monthly indices have a horizontal list of months in that year below the main heading.
- The archive of months, archive of entries and blog homepage are generated by the script.
- Heading levels are transformed as necessary in each monthly index and the blog homepage.
With the change in URL level for the entries, I had to transform all relative
href values. Internal links in
/blog/ should now be absolute.
Spidering through the blog and then generating pages which span different areas was tricky. In the end, I settled on pre-spidering the blog to load each entry’s path into an array, nested 3 levels deep:
- Year numbers. Currently from 2004 to 2008 at the moment.
- Month numbers. Currently from 1 to 12 in 2004 to 2007, with 1 to 8 in 2008.
- Paths to entries.
The path to the blog is stored in a constant as the script is just for my use.
- Spider blog into nested array, counting total number of entries.
- Start the archive of entries.
- Start the archive of months.
- For each year:
- Write heading and list of months to archive of months.
<div>and heading to archive of entries.
- Start this yearly index.
- Write list of months to this yearly index.
- For each month:
- Write subheading and list of entries to archive of entries.
- Write heading and list of entries to yearly index.
- Start monthly index.
- Write list of months to monthly index.
- Sort entries into reverse chronological order.
- For each entry:
- Write linked heading followed by date in parenthesese to monthly archive.
- Write entry text to monthly archive.
- End monthly index.
- End yearly index.
</div>to end section in archive of entries.
- End archive of months.
- End archive of entries.
- Start blog homepage.
- Write most recent linked heading followed by date in parenthesese to blog homepage.
- Write most recent entry text to blog homepage.
- End blog homepage.
|2nd December 2006||Blog Rebuild|
|23rd March 2007||Blog Headings|
|28th August 2007||Blog Sidebar|
|22nd May 2008||Extinction of Stone Age Blog IA|
|23rd June 2008||New Blog for 2003|
|29th April 2008||Complete Archive now built by an |
|17th May 2008||Completed blog about Sight City 2008 Notes & Experiences.|
|23th May 2008||One page create per entry for all of 2003.|
|27th May 2008||Page per entry for 2004 and 2005.|
|Markup of blog indices.|
|Automation of yearly blog indices.|
|Indices for 2003, 2004 and 2005.|
|29th May 2008||Yearly index ordered from oldest to newest.|
|Yearly index has horizontal list of months across top.|
|Yearly index has subheading per month.|
|Yearly index has list of blog entries with date as |
|Page per entry for 2006.|
|30th May 2008||Blog sidebar starts with a list of all years.|
|Blog sidebar lists recent 5 months instead of 13.|
|Page per entry for 2007.|
|7th June 2008||Page per entry for entire |
|24th June 2008||Went live with new IA for 2003 section of Blog.|
|Link checking all online blog indices.|
|25th June 2008||Went live with new IA for 2004 section of Blog.|
|27th June 2008||Created the Blog Organisation, Navigation and Information Architecture topic in Site Critiques of Accessify Forum.|
|29th June 2008||For bettor or worse, I’ve gone live with all the new IA.|
|Created 2 |
|14th August 2008||Raised subheading levels in entries as they were still at the level for monthly indices.|
|Reduction of subheading levels when entries get built into indices written, tested and run successfully.|
|Uploaded entire |