Internet Explorer 8 Beta 1
I tried the IE8 beta on 7th March 2008. I’m still documenting user interface problems in IE7, slowly.
- Menu bar at top and shown by default. Is this just the IE7 registry tweak carried forwards?
- Address bar only shows domain name in normal style. Rest of it used the disabled text style.
- Command Bar still hogs the tab bar.
- Command Bar still starts without enough space so it needs a chevron.
- The star to open the Favourites sidebar now has Favourites as label text!
- The Favourites Bar is displayed by default. So much for saving screen space.
- The search box is very wide by default. Cannot grab the space between it and the Stop button to change this.
- Page Zoom fits to width by default!
My Comments about UI on the IE Blog
- Birth of a Security Feature: ClickJacking Defense, 3rd February 2009.
<meta>tag instead of baking security into the browser.
- IE and Windows XP Service Pack 3, 12th May 2008.
- Follow-up to balance out my previous message.
- IE and Windows XP Service Pack 3, 6th May 2008.
- It shouldn’t be this hard.
- Add-on Management Improvements in Internet Explorer 8, 27th March 2008.
- Another follow-up to previous review.
- re: Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, 23rd March 2008.
- Follow-up to previous review.
- Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, 21st March 2008.
- Detailed review of Manage Add-ons.
- The IE8 Favorites Bar, 23rd March, 2008.
- Why the sidebar shouldn’t cut into the status bar. As if this needs an explanation.
- The IE8 Favorites Bar, 12th March 2008.
- Tabbed sidebar but gaps around controls.
- Improved Productivity Through Internet Explorer 8 Developer Tools, 8th March, 2008.
- Developer toolbar is getting more fiddly.