Restoring my Lumia 820 (23rd May 2015)
Cloud backup was from 29th August 2014. Is this triggered manually instead of being synchronised automatically?
“Problem with restoring backup”
Message says some things couldn’t be restored.
Did a phone update check and it found an update. Before update:
- Software: Windows Phone 8.0
- OS version: 8.0.10211.204
- Firmware revision number: 1232.5957.1308.0003
- Hardware revision number: 18.104.22.168
- MAC address: C8-D1-0B-25-32-2A
Downloads and prepares itself, then lists these as the things which will be installed:
- NOKIA Update for Windows Phone.
- Microsoft Update 8.0.10322.71;
- Microsoft Update 8.0.10327.77;
- Microsoft Update 8.0.10328.78;
It installed while I slept. When I woke up it asked to restart, which I allowed. This was quickly completed.
Checked for updates and after a little while it found quite a list!
- Nokia Update for Windows Phone.
- Microsoft Update 8.0.10517.150;
- Microsoft Update 8.0.10492.116;
- Microsoft Update 8.0.10501.127;
- Microsoft Update 8.0.10512.142
After several minutes (not hours) it finished. Then I got a call. Ignored it and let the phone restart. Priorities.
I texted them back and then checked for updates. Yep, it found the bridge to Windows 8.1!
- Windows Phone 8.0.1532.166 – This will make it easier to update your phone to Windows Phone 8.1, which is loaded with new features and improvements we think you’re going to love.
- Microsoft Update 8.0.10521.155.
It installed. Did another restart and checked again. Yay, it’s Windows Phone 8.1!
- Windows Phone 8.1 (8.10.12393.890)
- Nokia Update for Windows Phone
It showed me the new agreement and then some questions about WiFi Sense and app updated.
This was interrupted by Device Hub requiring a restart, on top of opening a multi-step wizard that I wasn’t actually able to click on. :-/ Had to do the restart and then re-do my answers to the questions as I hadn’t been able to confirm them before Device Hub interrupted me.
After the restart and completing the questions I visited the website about what was new. This was listed in the notifications centre as a text message. This was the first time I ran Internet Explorer on the new phone so I went to Custom settings.
Alarmingly, ticked by default in IE was this setting: “Send browsing history to improve and (where available) personalise services.”
The website mentions Update 2 re-arranges the Settings menu into categories. I started looking for that but noticed the Action Centre had something available. Opened it and after some noodling arrived at my Apps list. the “access point” [sic] app said “pending” so I clicked it and got the Store app. It listed several apps which were getting updated in the background.
I left them to it.
Disaster! Despite removing several apps at the start my Apps list now has the dreaded alphabetical dividers. Noooo!!! ¦¬\
A couple of hours later I noticed a pop-up message saying: “We’re going to download a critical update”. I guess that’s why all the other apps were pending, although it’s weird how this message wasn’t showing for several minutes and the first app (Calendar) got halfway before stopping in the “Pending” state.
A while later a full screen alert appears saying: “Install Critical Update”.
- Lumia Update for Windows Phone
- Windows Phone 8.1 (8.10.14234.375)
- Cortana (probably works great but even I’d feel embarrassed talking to my phone outside of a developers’ studio)
- HERE City Lens (actually I kept this as it’s a good party trick to demo Windows Phone)
- FM Radio (really why?)
- Food & Drink (or was it food+drink?)
- Games (I have a PS3)
- Podcasts (don’t use them)
- Transfer my Data
- Wallet (I have a real one with contactless cards...although I do have a few cards and phone is easier to get to…might look into this further)