Lumia 800: Timer App? (27th May 2012)
Cooking for me amounts to:
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Decide what to eat.
- Unpackage food from fridge or freezer.
- Adjust oven temperature if needed.
- Place food in oven.
- Wait for the right amount of time.
- Turn off oven.
- Serve food.
As my ancient Casio watch has finally used up its replacement battery, I’m looking to use my phone for the timing aspect to this.
Searching the Marketplace
- Started typing timer.
- That came up as a suggestion before I had even finished typing.
- Clicked it and it ran the search.
- List was quite long. There’s plenty of choice for basic features!
- Am especially keen to find a Metro-looking one which will prevent the lock screen.
- I clicked a few of them, read the author’s description, then went to the screenshots.
- Eventually found one called Timer by Christian Dullweber whose screenshots look completely native and makes sensible use of controls.
- Installed it.
- As it installs, you are taken to the applications list and it gets a progress bar underneath.
Once it had installed, I clicked it to open it:
- First screen shows 3 preset timersL
- 1 hour 30 minutes, presented as: 1:30:00
- 5 minutes, presented as: 0:05:00
- 3 seconds, presented as: 0:00:03
- The oven had pre-heated by now, so I pressed and held on the 5 minutes one.
- Happily, as I hoped, this displayed a context menu for it.
- Options were edit or delete.
- I click edit.
- This gives me a set of 3 options, again looking totally standard:
- I clicked on Timespan and got the standard “ooh, pretty” interface like setting dates and times.
- Swiped the minutes column upwards to 10.
- Clicked the tick to save this setting.
- Now I clicked on the Name.
- Replaced the text with Pizza and saved.
- This started the timer running.