Lumia 800: Foreca Weather App by Microsoft (18th May 2012)
The N900 has a wide Widget for Foreca Weather which gives a sequence of 7 predictions, each one covering 6 hours. Excellent overview of likely conditions, although the rain and hailstorm forecasting has seemed way off recently.
So I decided to check out the Marketplace for something similar on my Lumia. Perhaps a full-width Tile for the Start screen, like the native Calendar app has?
- On the Lumia 800 Start screen, swipe left to the Applications list.
- Scroll down a bit and click Marketplace.
- Push the search icon, centre bottom of the screen.
- Type in weather and press the → button.
- The 2nd entry is by Microsoft Corporation. The online Windows Live Calendar uses Foreca as its data provider, so this is probably using Foreca data as well.
- Clicked the entry and read the Description.
- Swiped leftwards a few times to browse the other information about it.
- Decided to give it a try, so clicked Install.
- It asked permission to use my location, so I clicked Allow.
- I now have a Set Up Account page asking for my Country/Region and date of birth.
- I’ve always chosen against adding these to my Windows Live ID, so a bit irked I have to give them now just to get some weather on my Start screen.
- I enter the details and click Accept to the terms.
- It assigns me the ‘gamertag’: Player639972953. Yuck!
- I click Done. But I’m back at the Weather entry, still with an Install button.
- I click the Install button again.
- Allow access to location again.
- Now I’m taken to the Applications list and a progress bar fills in at the bottom, beneath the new Weather app entry.
- I press and hold down on it, which shows the context menu. From here I click Pin to Start.
- Instead of the Tile going into the one gap in my 4 rows, it starts a new row. D’oh.
- I press and hold on the Tile until the screen mode changes.
- I drag the Tile to the only empty space in my 4 rows.
- I tap an empty part of the screen to confirm the move.
- The tile isn’t showing live Weather. Huh? That’s another small let-down.
- I tap the app and it asks permission to use my location, again. I allow it, again. (3rd time, overall.)
- I set my location by typo’ing nlondon, which it corrects in the suggestion list.
- I click the Save icon and it starts to bring in information.
- I return to the Start screen but it’s clearly not a Live Tile, just a static tile.
- I return to the app and click London, which gives me the detailed views in the gloriously crisp Metro style.
- I notice a pin icon at the bottom of this view.
- I click the pin and hoorah! It adds a Live Tile for London to my Start screen.
- I push and hold on the static Weather tile and Unpin it.
- I drag the Live Tile for Weather to the gap.
- I click a blank area to confirm the move.
Finally! I have live updating weather on my homescreen. After nosing around a bit more I notice the 2nd page in the London detailed forecast says:
Data provided by Foreca, AIRNow.
Changing my ‘Gamer Tag’ (23rd June 2012)
This is the jargon for the name automatically given to me when I signed up for the Marketplace. You can change your ‘Gamer Tag’ on Xbox’s website.
- A box on that page says: Enter your new gamertag
- I start by trying Ben Millard.
- (Strictly speaking, I guess that should be coded: Ben Millard?)
- Clicked Check Availability.
- Amazingly it is available! I immediately clicked Claim it!
- Success! It tells me: Your gamertag is now Ben Millard