Halloween in the Peak District (30rd October 2011)
Fiona and I were driven by Sarah to meet Cathy and Ian, with their baby Caitlyn.
- Cycled back from work
- Packed bag
- Fiona made jacket potatos with corned beef and melted cheese, plus a pot of beans on the side
- We took the Tube then changed for a train to Radlett (Fiona’s hometown)
- Sarah was waiting at Radlett station for us, having driven up from Whitstable
- Stopped at a services for some coffee and a rest break
- Arrived at the house somewhen around 11pm
- Woke up at 11am, long after everyone else
- Headed into Leek, the local town.
- Bought lunch at Deli – soup which we ate outside.
- Looked in various trinket shops.
- Bought cake from Thorntons for trip to Hampshire.
- Tea at Tea and Times (we think that was the name) – a teashop/clock repairers. Had scones and hot chocolate.
- Wandered to car via small shopping arcade that had an owl sanctuary demonstration with various owls on display. Probably the same ones that we saw at sanctuary on last visit.
- Returned to house and carved pumpkins - bat & owl.
- Got dressed in Vampire costumes. Sarah was a ghost maid, Cathy a witch, Iain a Devil and Caitlin a vampire baby. Bib said “Beware I’m Teething”.
- Drove down road to Froghall on Churnet Valley railway and boarded a diesel train.
- It took us through Cheddleton and then a tunnel, suddenly turning the lights off!
- Lots of passengers were dressed in Halloween costumes including the guards.
- Train returned to Cheddleton where we dismebarked and got some food – ate a pie and a glass of red wine in carriage on train.
- Watched a band on other side of platform playing old rock and roll covers and had a boogie.
- A steam train picked us up after 45 mins of this and we found our own compartment.
- Spooky soundtrack over tannoy and Halloween characters parading up and down trying to scare us, including a particularly authentic-looking Hellraiser.
- When we arrived at back at station there was entertainment, including a Halloween disco with actors and a fairground. We sat in a cafe and had some more food and drink and decided to head back.
- Watched most of the Halloween edition of Strictly Come Dancing
- Woke up at 11am, long after everyone else (again!)
- Fiona brought me cheese on toast, which I ate in bed
- Sarah drove us to a pub for lunch with Ian and Cathy
- I ordered the pork in cider sauce with new potatos
- Caitlyn realised that objects under a napkin still existed and could be revealed by removing the napkin
- This turned out to be something like a casserole, the sauce was so thick and tasty!