Entry Permalinks Tweaked (5th June 2006)
Now that I’ve restructured this section into a properly indexed blog with one folder per year, I’ve become unhappy about the values for my permanent links to entries. Yes, I probably do have better things to spend my time on. But this is interesting; this is fragment identifier tweakage!
The old format for a permalink was this:
There are many bad things about this, described below.
- Parts of the date present in the main URL are repeated in the fragment identifier.
- Portions of date are not seperated
- The year and the month are part of the filename when the year should be a ‘parent’ of the month.
- ‘Entry’ is no good
- This keyword should be followed by the title of the entry. Since that would make long fragment identifiers, something different is needed.
- Also, several entries are often filed for the same day.
My new format looks like this:
This fixes all the problems mentioned above but still contains a file extension. That means it isn’t technology neutral but at least it has improved.