Spring Cleaning (27th April 2006)

I have gone through all the pages of Project Cerbera to ensure the content starts with an <h2> heading. Various other fixes and optimisations have been made, so the website should look a bit tidier and perform a bit better.

One of the things I’ve changed is the way the character encoding is set. I added the following to my .htaccess file:

# Add character encodings to Content-Type headers:
AddType 'text/css; charset=utf-8' .css
AddType 'text/html; charset=utf-8' .htm .html

I make sure that my markup and stylesheets only use us-ascii characters which are the same as the start of utf-8. When a user agent requests any of these file types from Project Cerbera, the HTTP Response headers will be:

Content-Type: text/css; charset=utf-8
Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8

This method has a higher priority than the <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" ... > elements, so they have now been removed. This saves 74 bytes on every page and means I can see an extra line of markup when editing pages.